terça-feira, 23 de junho de 2009

Used to and Be used to doing

USED TO DO

Ross: when I was younger, I used to be a singer in a rock band. That was before I become an actress, I used to travel around the country doing gigs.

Used + to-infinitive means that something happened regularly or went on for a time in the past.
I used to travel means that in the past I regularly travelled, but I no longer do so.

Here are some examples:
We used to play that game when we were younger.
Nick used to smoke, but he gave it up.
I used to like fish, but I never eat it now.
There used to be a dancehall here, but they knocked it down:

We cannot use this structure in the present tense:
Claire travels a lot, NOT Claire uses to travel a lot.

We normally use didn’t use to in negatives and did… use to in questions:
We didn’t use to have computers. OR We never used to have computers.
Were did people used to buy their food before the supermarket was built?
Did you used to live in London?

BE USED TO DOING
Steve: I’m used to driving because I travel a lot in my job. I’m used to travelling around the country.
Be used to + ing- form means that something is familiar and is no longer strange. I’m used to travelling means that travelling is no longer strange or difficult because I have done it for so long.
Here are some more examples:
We’re used to getting up early. We do it every day. NOT we’re used to get up early
Sarah is used to working late at the office.
Most visitors to Britain aren’t used to driving on the left
I wasn’t used to wearing glasses. It seemed very strange at first.
We can also say get used to to talk about things becoming more familiar:
It was difficult at first, but Mike soon got to working at night.
After her husband died, the old woman had to get used to living on her own.

Exercises:
Used to do
Mrs. Bell is a hundred years old. She’s the oldest person in the village.
A radio reporter is interviewing her. Put in used to with the verb:
Mrs. Bell: I’ve always lived in the village, but not always in this house.
Reporter: where ______________ (you live)?
When I was a girl, we lived at Apple Tree Farm.
______________________________(we/like) it there.
Reporter: But life was hard, wasn’t it?
Mrs. Bell: Oh yes. Things __________________ (be) different from the way they are now. In those days ________________________(we/not/have) electricity.
Reporter: And _____________________ (you/help) with the farm work?
Mrs. Bell: Yes, _______________________( I/look) after the hens.


Used to do and be used to doing
Put in a to-infinitive or to + ing-form. Use the verbs in brackets:

When I was a child, I used to _____________ (dream) of being an astronaut.
I’m terribly nervous. I’m not used ____________(speak) to a large audience.
It took us ages to get used ___________________(live) in a block of flats.
Lots of trains used ________________( stop) here, but not many do now.
Didn’t Nick use_________________(work) on a building site?
There didn’t use____________________( be) so many soap operas on television.
I’ll have an orange juice, please. I’m not used _______________(drink) alcohol.
David doesn’t seem to mind being in hospital. I suppose he’s got used ____________(be) there.
When Laura was at the college, she used _________________(have) a picture of Elvis Presley on her bedroom wall.
Supposed to be' can be used to mean 'it is said/believed

The new James Bond movie is supposed to be excellent.
He is supposed to have been rude to Mark but I don't believe it.
It is supposed to be the best restaurant in town.
Supposed to be can also be used to talk about what is arranged, intended or expected. It is a bit like 'should'.

I'm supposed to get to work by 8.
John is supposed to turn off all the lights when he leaves.
I'm supposed to pay my rent on the first of the month.
It's not supposed to be here.
Often there is a suggestion that the action 'supposed to' happen does not actually happen.

I'm supposed to be there before 8 but I'm often late.
You were supposed to phone me.
I'm supposed to be getting on a plane to Tokyo at this very minute.
'Not supposed to' often suggests that something is not allowed or prohibited.

You're not supposed to smoke in here.
I'm not supposed to tell you.
We're not supposed to use the Internet for personal reasons at work.
'Suppose' can also be used as a conjunction to mean 'what if'. Notice that the verb which follows it is sometimes, but not always, put 'more in the past'.

Suppose we take the earlier train to Munich? It would give us more time there.
Suppose we took the plane instead? That would give us even more time.
There's nobody in reception to let our visitors in. Suppose I sit there until somebody comes?
I'm going to ask him for a pay increase. ~ Suppose he said 'no'? What would you do?

BE SUPPOSED TO

It has three different meanings:

It is supposed to = it is said to...

I'm going to buy his book. It's supposed to be very good (it is said to be very good)
Why hasn't the teacher come to school today? She is supposed to be ill (She is said to be ill)

Something that is supposed to happen= it is planned, arranged or expected. Often this is different from what really happens

The exam was supposed to start at 10.00 sharp but the teacher was late
I'm supposed to give a conference in Berlin tomorrow but I think I'm going down with flu.

You are not supposed to do something= it is not allowed or advisable for you to do that

She is not supposed to speak Spanish in an English class.


Rewrite the following sentences using the structure: Be supposed to.

1. It's your duty to make tea at eleven.
_______________tea at eleven.
2. We don't allow smoking here.
________________here.
3. It was your duty to obey him.
________________obey him.
4. It is said that Peter is a millionaire.
_________________Peter a millionaire.
5. My students can't talk to each other during the exams.
________________talk to each other during exams.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário